The World Day Against Child Labour is observed annually on 12 June to raise awareness about the importance of eliminating child labour and promoting the rights of children. In 2023, the theme for this significant day was “Social Justice for All, End Child Labour.” This report highlights the activities and initiatives organised by the Bangalore Rural Educational and Development Society (BREADS) and its partner organisations across Karnataka and Kerala to support the cause.
- Don Bosco Angadikadavu: An awareness programme conducted under the Kerala Interstate Migrants Alliance for Transformation (KISMAT) project at Devatharkandy school, was attended by 60 migrant students. The programme focused on the eradication of child labour and emphasised every child’s right to education and a childhood free from exploitation. The students were educated about the consequences of child labour and encouraged to report any instances that they came across. The event concluded with the students pledging to fight against child labour and to promote education for all.
- Don Bosco Yadagiri: A joint celebration of World Day Against Child Labour and a rally was organised in collaboration with the District Labour Department. The event witnessed the participation of 350 members, including representatives from the Directorate of Women and Child Development (DWCD), Asha workers, school children, and staff members. This collective effort aimed to raise awareness and generate support for the elimination of child labour.
- Don Bosco Chitradurga: Under the Child Rights Education and Action Movement (CREAM) project, a rally was organised in association with the departments of Labour, Education, and Women and Child Development. Inaugurated by Senior Civil Judge Ms. Manuvalli Premavathi, the event highlighted the significance of combating child labour and ensuring a better future for children.
- Don Bosco Kalaburagi: The district administration organised a district-level anti-child labour day programme in which Don Bosco Kalaburagi actively participated. The event included a march (jaatha) as well as a stage programme, emphasising the importance of raising awareness and taking action against child labour.
- Don Bosco Davanagere: In Davanagere, a programme was organised by the district administration and the labour department, in collaboration with various NGO forums. The programme held at Millat School, created awareness about child labour issues and promoted measures to eliminate it.
- Don Bosco Devadurga: A rally was organised in Devadurga as part of the World Day Against Child Labour. The event witnessed significant participation from children and various government stakeholders.
- Don Bosco Ramanagara: Under the CREAM project, a rally and street play was organised in the Mandya and Ramanagara districts. The staff also organised an awareness session along with a drawing competition for the children of GHS Uyyambahalli.
- Bidar: A rally was organised by the district authorities in collaboration with the Ministry of Women & Child Development of Bidar district. During the closing ceremony of the event, the children who participated in the rally made the programme more colourful with various performances.
- Don Bosco Mysuru: The centre received an “Appreciation Award” during the Anti-Child Labour Day programme organised by the Mysore District Administration. The award was meant to recognise the extraordinary work and service in bringing dropouts, child labourers and other youth at risk into the mainstream of society through education. The District Magistrate, District Collector, Police Commissioner and other higher government officials were present during this programme. Three Students of Don Bosco Makkalalaya shared their successful journeys from being child labourers to successful individuals in society.
- BOSCO Bangalore: BOSCO organised various programmes such as awareness about Child Labour, rallies and street plays in various parts of Bangalore, including Kempe Gowda Bus and railway stations, K. R Market bus station, Magadi Road and Malagala Road area.
- Don Bosco Hospete- A rally was organised in Hospete in the Vijayanagara district with the participation of children and authorities from the Government departments.
These events and initiatives organised by BREADS and its partner organisations, highlight our commitment to the cause of eliminating child labour and ensuring social justice for all children. The collective efforts of these organisations contribute to raising awareness, advocating for children’s rights, and working towards a future free from child labour.
Mini Job fair at Don Bosco Professional Academy, HospetOn 29 August 2023, the Don Bosco Job Placement Network collabora
Support for Child Care InstitutesBREADS directly supports nine institutions for the rehabilitatio
Employee Volunteer Engagement by Aon Consulting Pvt. Ltd., BangaloreAon Consulting Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore organised an employee volunte
Providing Vital Healthcare to Migrant WorkersCollaborating with the Seventh Day Adventist Medical Centre, the