World Environment Day is an annual event celebrated every 5th June to raise awareness and encourage action for the protection of our environment. In 2023, the theme for World Environment Day (WED) was #BeatPlasticPollution, highlighting the urgent need to combat the detrimental effects of plastic pollution on our planet. Bangalore Rural Educational and Development Society (BREADS) and its partner organisations across Karnataka and Kerala, organised various programmes and activities to contribute to the cause. Some of the activities organised included:
- Don Bosco College Bangalore students embraced the theme of #BeatPlasticPollution by pledging to create a plastic-free campus. The students also participated in sapling plantation and organised a bicycle rally to spread awareness about environmental conservation.
- Don Bosco Degree College Yadagiri organised a photography contest to raise awareness about the detrimental impact of plastic usage and plastic pollution in the context of climate change. It was a creative platform for students to express their perspectives on the issue. By capturing thought-provoking images, the students shed light on the environmental consequences of plastic pollution and encouraged viewers to rethink their plastic consumption habits.
- Don Bosco Ajjanahalli engaged youth in planting 100 saplings. By involving young individuals in such activities, the centre aimed to instill a sense of environmental responsibility and foster a generation of eco-conscious citizens.
- BOSCO Bangalore, under the Child Rights Education and Action Movement (CREAM) programme, organised the planting of saplings in Ganesha (GHPS) and Chikkapete (GHS) government schools in Bangalore Urban. This initiative aimed to educate children about their rights while instilling a sense of responsibility towards the environment.
- Don Bosco Bidar, Davanagere, PYAR Kalaburagi, Hosapete and Ramanagara also planted saplings and organised awareness rallies as part of the CREAM programme.
- Don Bosco Association for Rural Development and Social Welfare (DBARDS), Mandya, celebrated WED 2023 by planting saplings in Taggahalli Government High School and Pre-Graduate College premises. A rally was conducted with school children on the main streets of the village. This event promoted environmental consciousness and also engaged the local community in a collective effort to combat plastic pollution and preserve Nature.
- Don Bosco Youth Centre Ollukkara, in Thrissur, Kerala, distributed 200 plants to the community, encouraging individuals to take responsibility for their surroundings. Additionally, awareness sessions on environmental issues were conducted in four KISMAT villages in Thrissur, educating the local population about the importance of environmental sustainability.
- Don Bosco Alappuzha and Don Bosco Thope (Kollam), organised sapling planting activities, contributing to the growth of green cover and promoting sustainable ecosystems.
- Don Bosco Sneha Bhavan, Kochi incorporated environmental conservation into the Drug Rehabilitation Education and Mentoring (DREAM) programme. By planting saplings, the centre emphasised a holistic approach to rehabilitation that includes environmental consciousness and sustainable living.
Kerala Interstate Migrants Alliance for Transformation (KISMAT) involved the local communities of Mavinchuvadu and Bengali colony in Perumbavoor, in cleaning drives, addressing cleanliness and hygiene concerns, and planting tree saplings to contribute to a healthier and cleaner environment.
- Don Bosco Angadikadavu focused on sustainable agricultural practices through an organic farming workshop on vegetable cultivation. As part of the Women Empowerment through Livelihood and Entrepreneurship (WELivE) project, they distributed saplings to promote the conservation of water, energy, and land. These activities aimed to empower individuals with knowledge and skills to adopt environmentally friendly practices in their daily lives.
- Don Bosco Sultan Bathery celebrated WED in a government school as part of the DREAM project. Highlighting the importance of nurturing and preserving nature, the staff planted saplings and protected them with green nets.
- Don Bosco Manacaud in association with Trivandrum Don Bosco Veedu Society, CHILDLINE, and Railway Child Help Desk observed WED by distributing saplings to students at Government High School Kaladi, encouraging them to actively participate in rebuilding a plastic-free environment.
- The staff, fathers, and inmates of rehabilitation centres of Don Bosco Mampetta, Kozhikode, and Monvila under the DREAM programme, actively participated in sapling plantation reinforcing the idea that environmental consciousness is an integral part of the rehabilitation process.
- Don Bosco College, Kottiyam, collaborated with the Social Work Association of Don Bosco for Empowering Society (SWADES) in a cleaning drive at the well-known tourist place, Sambranikodi, with the support of the Thrikkaruva panchayat. Their efforts transformed an unhygienic water body into a clean and healthy one, showcasing the power of collective action in preserving natural resources.
- Don Bosco College, Angadikadavu, provided 700 students with saplings. By nurturing these saplings, the students would be taking active roles in safeguarding their surroundings and promoting sustainability.
By these various initiatives towards environmental stewardship, BREADS and its partners set an example for others to follow, inspiring positive change and fostering a sense of responsibility towards the environment.
Mini Job fair at Don Bosco Professional Academy, HospetOn 29 August 2023, the Don Bosco Job Placement Network collabora
Support for Child Care InstitutesBREADS directly supports nine institutions for the rehabilitatio
Employee Volunteer Engagement by Aon Consulting Pvt. Ltd., BangaloreAon Consulting Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore organised an employee volunte
Providing Vital Healthcare to Migrant WorkersCollaborating with the Seventh Day Adventist Medical Centre, the